Thursday, January 27, 2011

In quietness and confidence shall be your strength Is.30

For "when He giveth quietness, who then can make afraid?" Job34:29

...self is the very thing I want to keep out of sight, for the intruding of self, in hours of quiet meditation, is like walking across a sandy plain when the sky is cloudless, and the sun at the point in the heavens which lets our shadow fall forward rather than backward. -And- who wants to walk with the shadow of self leading the way; "Self" - "that black spot in our sunshine,"

Ah! Dear Lord, I pray Thee, henceforth let the shadow of self fall behind, not before; and it will, if the soul abides in the quietness the Lord giveth.

Quiet, Lord, my froward heart;
Make me teachable and mild,
Upright, simple, free from art:
Make me as a child;
From distrust and envy free,
Pleased with all that pleases Thee

"What Thou shalt today provide,
Let me as a Child receive;
What tomorrow may be-tide,
Calmly to Thy wisdom leave:
"Tis enough that Tout wilt care,
Why should I the burden bear?

"As a little child relies
On a care beyond his own,
Knows he's neither strong nor wise
Fears to stir a step alone:
Let me thus with Thee abide,
As my Father, guard, and guide."

In Quietness and Confidence ~ by Rose Porter

No comments: