Thursday, November 25, 2010

Biddy & Brown...





When we moved into our home Frankie was 18months old, Kaitie was 4.5, and Keri was a sophmore in high school. We were only here two weeks when my sister, Linda asked if I wanted to go to the S.P.C.A. with her to see dalmation puppies they had, she was looking to get one. I went along for the ride and was browsing the kennels when I saw a young chocolate lab. He seemed very sweet and friendly. I kept going back to say hi to him several times, and commented to my sister what a nice dog he was.

That evening at dinner I told Frank about him, and he said let's go up and take a look at him. Well, needless to say he rode home on my lap. He was 5 months old and 40 pounds of joy and energy. He proved to be every bit as sweet as I had thought, but as anyone, I believe with a lab knows, he was "full of mischief."

It wasn't long before I was looking him straight in the eye and saying "I wonder what crime you committed that ended you up in the pound to begin with." He stole our food, chewed our shoes and anything else he could get a hold of . He was a" Houdini" at escape. He could open the front storm door and get out and knew how to open the back to get in.

I remember him stealing and eating 5 foot long hot dogs, with everything on them, a roast, pizza, cookies and more.
One day I scolded the children when they were younger for leaving "Jolly Rancher" candy papers on the floor, and promptly told them if they couldn't throw the papers away they couldn't eat them, only to come around the corner later to see Hershey carefully lifting one out of the candy dish!

He would cry like crazy when he heard the ice cream truck, and tried desperately to "place his own order at the drive through" at McDonald's.

We loved him to pieces, and he was wonderful with our children. I considered myself his "legal advocate" as I would often be heard telling my husband "Honey, love covers a multitude of transgressions." That doesn't carry a lot of weight when the dog has just eaten the Sticky Buns, your husband bought to take to work the next day!

We had this dear (75 lb) friend for eight wonderful years, then came Biddy, all of 8 lbs, and 9wks old. We discovered her in a pet shop one day. We weren't looking for a Scottie, but there she was.



As I researched the breed I was a little apprehensive to get a Scottie, because a few people told me they were nasty. However, I came across a very reputable breeder in Texas who proved to be a sweetheart at educating me on the breed, gave great counsel on training and grooming, and assured me they were wonderful companions.

She advised me to stay away from pet shops, but it was really too late because we had already fallen in love with Biddy, (visiting her there 3x a week) and there was no going back. I kept trying to talk myself out of this when one day Kaitie ,who was 12 at the time, came to me and said, "Mom, she's expecting us today." That was all I needed to hear. Realizing someone was going to take this puppy home I decided it would be us! A few hours later she was home, where she belonged. and the rest is history.




Hershey was so gracious to her, letting her win every tug of war, and putting up with all of her Puppy-ness. They became great friends even though I know she pushed him to the brink some days. Sometimes she just drove him plain crazy.

We had to put our beloved Hershey down when he was 12 years old, and though we missed him terribly, Biddy was a constant source of life and fun for us.




It is hard to say good bye to such faithful friends. In some ways they are like perpetual children, always under our care, loving and dependent. Today, I am thankful for both of them and the many years we had the opportunity to give them a quality life, full of love. Neither one of them had a real great start in life, but I am happy to say we had a part in changing that for them. They rewarded us amply with loyalty and love.















perimeter check...



what a unique pair






bone swapping was Biddy's favorite thing


he let her think she was in charge
and she loved it!

Align CenterI think this says it all as far as showing grace!



The 2 of them together were pretty pathetic
when it came to comfort.



Hershey in his last days










2 comments:

The Rocky Creek Scotties said...

Oh my, just like Lilly and Java - some of those pictures looked so much like them together. Thank you so much for sharing this story, even though it made me cry.

((Hugs))
Lynn

Here is another post about Java that you might want to read - God is good, and he sent us comfort when we needed it the most. http://rockycreekscottieadventures.blogspot.com/2010/04/remembering-our-java-bean.html

THE OLD GEEZER said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You :-)

~Ron