Monday, July 26, 2010

Aquiesce to my Lord...


acquiesce -
To rest satisfied, without opposition and discontent (implying previous opposition or discontent); to accept or consent by silence.


**********
There are times when things look very dark to me, so dark that I have to wait even for hope. It is bad enough to wait in hope. A long deferred fulfillment carries its own pain, but to wait for hope, to see no glimmer of a prospect yet refuse to despair; to have nothing but night before the casement and yet to keep the casement open for possible stars; to have a vacant place in my heart and yet allow that place to be filled by no inferior presence- that is the greatest patience in the universe. It is Job in the tempest; it is Abraham on the road to Moriah; it is Moses in the desert of Midian; it is the Son of Man in the Garden of Gethsemane.

There is no patience so hard as that which endures, "as seeing Him who is invisible"; it is the waiting for hope.

Thou hast made waiting beautiful: Thou hast made patience divine. Thou hast taught us that the Father's will may be received just because it is His will. Thou hast revealed to us that a soul may see nothing but sorrow in the cup and yet may refuse to let it go, convinced that the eye of the Father sees further than its own.

Give me this Divine power of Thine, the power of Gethsemane. Give me the power to wait for hope itself, to look out from the casement where there are no stars. Give me the power, when the very joy that was set before me is gone, to stand unconquered amid the night and say, "To the eye of my Father it is perhaps shining still." I shall reach the climax of strength when I have learned to wait in hope. -George Matheson - "Streams in the Desert" July 26, copyright 1925


**********


My dearest devotional, the edition I have was published in 1925, I treasure it.
I don't know how many times I read this particular reading just this morning. It amazes me how often times something speaks so much of your heart it's as though you penned the words yourself.

"...yet allow that place to be filled by no inferior presence."

... when the very joy that was set before me is gone,...

Upon reflection in each name above I saw:

Job-sudden fiery and devastating trials without reason or answer, which may cause one to despair. A test of faith when all is taken away after walking righteously before Him, the only answer being because it seemed good to Him to allow it.
Learning: that although we walk in obedience we cannot presume upon God. "The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away, blessed be the name of the Lord." ~ Job 1:21b

Abraham - A sacrifice too great to bear, a promise and vision surrendered, an act of obedience and faith beyond comprehension. Job questioned God, Abraham did not, Job's trials came suddenly, Abraham had to take part in his sorrow, walking to Moriah with his precious son, gathering the wood for the sacrifice, binding the greatest love of his heart to the alter. Learning; to sacrifice back to Him the very visions He gave. Sacrificing the promises He fulfilled, loving Him more than even these." "... for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.” ~ Gen. 22:12

Moses - Human failure and regret accompanied by a wasteland and complete solitude for 40 years (the number of testing). Redeemed by the only one Who could redeem, and the fulfilling yet of the very reason his life was preserved as an infant, to be a type of Christ, God's deliverer!
We see Sovereignty on display! Learning; God's will can only be done God's way. ".that thou mayest know that there is none like unto the LORD our God." ~ Ex 8;10b

Christ - The shadow of an agony which we could never imagine, separation from the Father, becoming the sin of the world, shedding of His blood, the price of redemption, a test of love, obedience and sacrifice, to the Father's will.  "Who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame", for the glory set before Him"`- His Father's glory. "Thy will be done."
Learning : "...obedience through the things He suffered." ~ Heb 5:8 His greatest agony, separation from His Father.

In all of this He changes me...  

"I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
come drifting home with broken masts and sails;
I will believe the Hand which never fails.
From seeming evil worketh good for me.
And though I weep because these sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered;
"I will trust in Thee."

"I will not doubt though all my prayers return
Unanswered from the still white realm above;
I will believe it is an all wise Love
Which has refused these things for which I yearn;
And though at times I cannot keep from grieving.
Yet the pure ardor of my fixed believing
Undimmed shall burn.

I will not doubt, though sorrows fall like rain,
And troubles swarm like bees around a hive.
I will believe the heights for which I strive
are only reached by anguish and by pain.
And though I groan and writhe beneath my crosses,
I yet shall see through my severest losses
The greater gain.


And He went a little beyond them, and fell on His face and prayed, saying, "My Father, ... not as I will, but as You will." ~Matt 26:30


...because "His banner over me is love." I will aquiesce to my Lord.

2 comments:

Tricia said...

Waiting....even for hope....those words bless me also. I Love, Love "Streams in the Desert"! Second place to "My Utmost for His Highest"! Remember, Lisa, all the good talks we had over what "My Utmost" said that day? God is so good to give us writers who really knew Him in a deep and intimate way and the resources, so that, even now, years later we can glean from them! Keep up the good writing. Love ya

Lisa said...

Thanks Tricia, and yes I remember those days well. God bless,love you too!