Friday, May 28, 2010



"Grunge Christianity"
http://www.sfpulpit.com/2006/12/11/grunge-christianity/

I linked to this article on my post below, however I feel it bears standing on it's own, for although a man like Mark Driscoll has many followers, this problem is throughout the Christian Community. Please make time to read and consider it.

John MacArthur says it so well concerning Driscoll ,"His soteriology is exactly right, but that only makes his infatuation with the vulgar aspects of contemporary society more disturbing."

It would be wise to remember that II Timothy 4 speaks of a type of "emerging church."
I thought it interesting to see if you could form a church like Mark Driscoll's on Mathew 5, what has been said to be the greatest sermon ever preached.

I am trying to picture this teaching coming from Paul or John as I think about II Corinthians 11, and Revelation 1. Perhaps I am missing something when I read Isaiah Ch 1, or the book of Daniel.

I've heard Driscoll say fundamentalist have no fun. I've read much about joy in the Word, and being blessed, but I am not seeing fun in the lives of the men mentioned above.

If that is the case where does the "consider it all joy when facing various trials" come in?

Do I think these men ever enjoyed life or Christian fellowship, absolutely, however it wasn't there "good times" they wrote about under the direction of the Holy Spirit. They wrote about their calling , they were Ministers of the Gospel. They were not vulgar, and spoke of our Lord in complete holiness. They never called him a "bartender", or put vulgar slang in His mouth.


I have looked everywhere and I cannot find this vulgar person Mark Driscoll calls Jesus Christ.

How, I ask should a bride present herself to a groom? How, I ask should "the Bride" present herself to her Groom, who is the King of Kings. Where does the 'grunge' come in?

How I ask should Christ be represented to the world?

We are called out in the scriptures to be a peculiar people, different from the world, not marinated in it. Clearly we are commanded to "come out from among them ..."

That may mean different things to different people, but to throw the church into the "culture" is heartbreaking. We are called to NOT be conformed to this world, meaning it's culture, which is ever spiraling downward.

As I look at the precious faces of my grandchildren below I cannot even bear the thought of them sitting under teaching where they would learn the word of God, or knowledge of Jesus Christ in such a wretched manner.

I am thankful I never "learned" Jesus Christ this way, for in my heart He has always been High, and Holy, and lifted up, yet he stooped down to bear the shame and reproach of my sin. He is my Glorious Savior.

Where, I ask anyone to show me, in the word of God is Christ is taught in this manner, show me where the prophets or Apostles ever spoke of the Word of God, or Jesus like this?

What is the source?

Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
~Matthew 7:16


This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind, Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart: Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness. But ye have not so learned Christ; If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus: That ye put off concerning the former conversation of the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. ~Ephesians 4: 17-23



No comments: