Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Providence



Had I been Joseph's mother
I'd have prayed
protection from his brothers:
"God keep him safe;
so different from the others."
Mercifully
she never knew
there would be slavery
and prison, too.*

Had I been Moses' mother
I'd have wept
to keep my little son;
praying she might forget
the babe drawn from
the water
of the Nile,
had I not kept
him for her
nursing him the while?
Was he not mine
and she
but Pharaoh's daughter+

Had I been Daniel's mother
I should have pleaded
"Give the victory!
This Babylonian horde-
godless and cruel-
don't let them take him captive
-better dead,
Almighty Lord!"**

Had I been Mary- Oh, had I been she,
I would have cried
as never mother cried,
"...Anything, O God,
anything...
but crucified!"

With such prayers
importunate
my finite wisdom
would assail
Infinite Wisdom

God, how fortunate
Infinite Wisdom
should prevail !

~Ruth Bell Graham

* Genesis 37
+Exodus 2
**Daniel 1

No comments: