Friday, February 20, 2009

They measuring themselves by themselves...

and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise. ~II Corinthians 10:12




I had some time alone to sit and have a cup of tea (Vanilla Chai :) and I decided to visit Stacy McDonald's "Your Sacred Calling" and read her latest post "The Myth of the Perfect Family".


I found this post particularly interesting as the result of looking at other families can be such a tremendous stumbling block. I say this from an experiential standpoint. It is a good thing to be encouraged by others, it is another to make them the standard. I agree with Stacey that for the most part people don't want to be the standard for someone else. Personally the thought of it makes me weak. Others desire to be. Regardless, the Word of God is clear...he who compares Himself to others is unwise ... The last word in that sentence makes it clear; unwise means lacking wisdom. The verb is present tense, presently without wisdom...(I hate when I find myself there, as is sometime the case.)


It seems that women can be especially vulnerable to this kind of deceit, we love to look ways of improvement, whether it be improving our home, our appearance, our family life. The intention is without fault. Setting others as an example, or comparing ourselves becomes the fault. I personally need to be on guard that in wanting to attain higher ground for my family I do not allow the devil to set this stumbling block of discouragement, and for me that is what it is.
I am thankful to Stacey for reminding me to keep my eyes on Jesus and to be ever thankful for the tremendous grace of God in my life. I encourage you to read both articles, you will have to come away blessed!

No comments: