Monday, August 18, 2008

Scotties of Distinction, and a Sweet Texan Lady!

International & American Champion
Springbok's
"A Tad Bit Unbelievable"

"Tad"
"International Best in Show"
& "American Best in Show"




I've decided to do a little post on a very special friend of mine, Donna Winslow. Donna and I have known each other for almost eight years, and the story of our meeting is a little unique, and one I thought would be fun to share.

We were a cozy little family of five at the time, with a faithful canine friend named Hershey, our Chocolate Lab. To cut a long story short we decided to add another dog to our family, and to cut it even shorter, we decided on a Scottie we found at a pet shop. Not knowing a great deal about the breed I set off on the internet to educate myself, where I came across Donna's site Springbok Scottish Terriers.



Donna lives in Texas with her husband Jack, where she breeds Scottish Terriers as well as shows them throughout the country.

I began contact with her on how to train and care for our new puppy. The terrier breed was all new to me and I was a little intimidated by it. What I found was the just sweetest Texan lady who was so kind, encouraging and helpful to us. She spent many hours on the phone and e-mailteaching me about this "most wonderful" of breeds, right down to grooming.
Our acquaintance developed into a family friendship, and a few years later we had the
privilege of having her and Elliot stay at our home. She was up to Montgomery Pennsylvania for The Nationals and we made a trip down to watch her show Elliot and to meet in person for the first time. A memory I will always cherish.



BEST IN SPECIALTY SHOW
CH. SPRINGBOK'S "UNTOUCHABLE"
"Elliot Ness"

I admire Donna's work with Scottish Terriers, she has traveled the country showing them, and has even appeared on Animal Planet showing Elliot in a dog show. She has a wonderful breeding program and strives for the best in the breed from health to beauty!

In case you didn't know it, all of these dogs are hand stripped, which means their coat is pulled, not clipped. Show regulations require this, and it is very time consuming, and quite an art. Only very small areas of the coat may be clipped, such as the ears, cheeks, and throat. This pulling gives the coat a very smooth yet hard and wiry texture.

I remember feeling Elliot's coat and how rich it was as I sank my fingers into it. Did I mention how very sweet he is, and such house manners! Biddy would run up to his crate and bark her fool head off at him and he would just look at her and sit silent!


Champion Springbok's
"Tails I Win"
"Rhys"


I am thankful to say we have been able to maintain our friendship over the miles, as well as over these eight years, and have fun talking about everything from our faith, politics, family and of course Scotties! I was especially impressed when I discovered she recently went sky diving! Really, such risks, "D"! I never know what to expect from her, and that is part of the reason I love her.

I can openly confess I covet her dogs, and her grooming abilities. (I have been asking for Elliot for years, but I never get anywhere.) I have always found an open heart in her and can say without a doubt her heart is as big as the state she abides in.

I hope you will visit her site, it definitely worth seeing. Here are a few pictures of this very lovely lady, her lovely dogs, and what she does so very well!




"Luke"
CH. SPRINGBOK'S
"U TALK TOO MUCH"



Luke's Daughter
"Capri"
DOB: 2-27-07
(Couldn't you just eat her up?:)

No comments: