Tuesday, August 5, 2008

His Tender Mercies



I've been reading a book by Stanley Collins, "Courage and Submission". It is a commentary on Ruth & Esther. It is a very old little paper back I have had for years that was given to me second hand. I have looked at it I don't know how many times and put it in a pile of books that I was going to get rid of. The pile sat for days and every time I passed it I looked at the book and was prompted to pull it out of the pile to read. Of course I kept ignoring the urge, but finally gave in. How very good God is to us. It contains only 94 pages covering both books. It has been such an incredible blessing to me. I would like to share a little part with you.


*********************************************************************************
Speaking of Naomi's bitterness in Ruth 1:20.
Call me not Naomi (sweet or pleasant), call me Mara (bitter): for the Almighty hath dealt very bitterly with me."



Poor Naomi! Like so many of us she is passing judgment on herself and the Lord before the Lord has finished! If only she knew how wonderfully and lovingly God is planing to make the remainder of her days happier than she can imagine!

All she can see is a grim future ahead, yet God is preparing the loveliest of all surprises for her. Her future is so good that Naomi would never believe it if He were to tell her.

Remember how Jacob reacted similarly when his sons said Benjamin had to go to the Controller of Egypt [Joseph]? He mourned and wept crying, "Joseph is not...and ye will take Benjamin away: all these things are against me" (Genesis 42:36) Oh that he might have known that God was never working harder to bless Jacob than at that moment! God was arranging a great reunion for Joseph, Jacob, and Benjamin; but all Jacob could see was immediate disaster.

This is probably our biggest mistake today: we single out some experience, then judge God by this alone, wondering why He allowed it. So easily we forget His many blessings, and daily benefits, the mercies which are renewed to us each morning.p.14

Let us always remember that God never makes a mistake. He knows what He is doing. But His thoughts are not our thoughts, and His ways are past finding out, for He knows the end from the beginning. When it might appear that God manipulates His people like pawns in a game of chess, always remember that the people most blessed are the "very pawns" He uses.


**********************************************************************************

Forgive me dear Lord for doubting you, and not believing when hard times come that ALL things work together for [my] good.


***********************************************************************************

No comments: